This post was written by Kelly D. Smith (and contains affiliate links).
While we all know that we need to get enough water each day, it can be hard. Especially if there is something else to drink around the house. Plus, a lot of people don’t like the taste of water. But we all know it’s good for us, so we force ourselves to drink it. Or even worse, we convince ourselves to buy some flavored water even though often times, flavored water from a store is not much better than soda. So, what other options do we have?
Make your own flavored water.
Not only is it so much better for you, but it’s tasty, cheap, and simple.
When making your own flavored water, it’s always best to start by bringing the water to a boil because this allows you to increase the flavor. Then you can add the fruits/herbs that you choose and allow it to cool before straining. I always make sure to add a little extra fruit to the drink, both for looks and added nutritional benefits.
Another option is to invest in an inexpensive and fun fruit infuser water bottle (or pitcher) to make your flavored water. You can just chop up your fruits and herbs, toss them in the chamber inside the bottle, and allow it to sit as long as you want – from an hour to up to 12 hours.
But whether it’s for yourself or a group, flavored water will leave you feeling refreshed and healthy. It will also help you to stop thinking about soda, juice, or other unhealthy drinks. It’s also a cheap way to treat yourself or add to any at-home spa day to leave you feeling relaxed and ready to take on everything on your to-do list.
Now, here are a few ideas of what you can put in your flavored water!
- Lemon: I’d just be wrong, wrong, wrong if I didn’t start with lemon! Lemon water is great for helping flush out toxins in your system.
- Basil: Same as lemon, this herb can help flush toxins and is anti-inflammatory.
- Mint or Cinnamon: Both of these can help boost your metabolism and taste great paired with just about anything.
- Blueberries, strawberries, oranges, and watermelon: These are full of antioxidants and vitamins. (Plus they’re delicious!)
- Cucumber: Helps aid in weight loss and anti-inflammation.
- Grapefruit: These bittersweet fruits are considered one of the best fruits to help detox your body.
Have you tried fruit infused water? What would you put in yours?