Alone time (or “me-time”) is super important when it comes to self-care and recharging our batteries. One problem a lot of people have is that they don’t know what to do with their alone time.
You Might Like: The Importance of Spending Time Alone
This can be especially hard if you’re someone who is constantly worried about everyone else and you aren’t used to taking time for yourself. As you start spending time by yourself, you’ll start to realize what you like and what you don’t like.
But for now, here are 26 of my favorite things to do in my alone time. Remember, pay attention to how you feel when you’re doing these things so you can get a better understanding of what helps you feel relaxed and happy.
1. Get some fresh air – go for a walk and really enjoy nature.
2. Do your favorite creative hobby. If you don’t have one, try one – draw, paint, write, sketch, crochet, craft, etc! Or buy an awesome adult coloring book; they’re super relaxing.
3. Go on a picnic by yourself. Pack yourself a lunch, bring along a good book, go to the park, and relax.
4. Take some selfies. For me, selfies are generally an “every now and then” thing. But there’s nothing wrong with getting all dressed up and taking a few pictures of your pretty face! I firmly believe that doing this is a great confidence boost.
5. Go to a museum and take your time exploring.
6. Play around with your hair and/or makeup. Guys. I won’t lie to you; I’m bad about updating my hair and makeup looks. But when I have time to myself, sometimes it’s fun to look up tutorials on YouTube or Pinterest and find new styles to test out.
7. Go to a thrift store. A lot of people don’t have the patience that it takes to go through racks of thrift store items to find that one purchase that makes it worth the time. So sometimes it’s fun to just go by yourself!
8. Take a nap. Even short, 15-minute naps are shown to recharge your batteries enough to make you feel energized for the rest of the day!
9. Buy a new cookbook and cook or bake something new that you’ve never tried before.
10. Grab a snack and binge watch your favorite shows or movies.
11. Create a vision board on Pinterest. Pin everything that resonates with you and the life you want to live.
12. Catch up on all of your favorite blogs. Read any posts you’ve missed.
13. Complete a project or task you’ve been wanting to do but haven’t had time for. There’s nothing wrong with being productive while you’re enjoying your time alone!
14. Go to a concert, play, comedy show, etc. Or even just a movie theater!
15. Watch funny videos on YouTube. This is sure to help you relax and even lift your mood.
16. Have breakfast, lunch, or dinner alone at a restaurant. Maybe even try a new one by yourself!
17. Go shopping and treat yourself to something you wouldn’t normally buy.
18. Spend some time writing in your journal. You can write down your goals, thoughts, dreams, bucket list, feelings, whatever you want. There are no rules!
19. Write a gratitude list. Think of a list of at least 10 things that you’re thankful for and write them down. (You can access a free printable gratitude list – and other fun stuff – if you sign up for my newsletter here!)
20. Take a class. It could be a painting class, a photography class, a cooking class; whatever interests you. You’ll learn a new skill, gain some confidence, and maybe even find a new passion or make some friends.
21. Try a new workout. I don’t know about you, but trying a new physical activity can be a bit awkward for me sometimes. So try one alone. Or try out many different ones to find the perfect one for you!
22. Catch up on some reading, or read your favorite parts of books you already love.
23. Clean, declutter, and organize your home – one of my favorite things to do! (I personally recommend The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, if you haven’t read it yet!)
24. Pamper yourself! Give yourself a mani/pedi, make yourself a face mask, take a bubble bath, give yourself a hair treatment – whatever relaxes you.
25. Take a mini road trip. I’m not talking a cross-country road trip or anything – but you should totally do that if you want! Or just go for a drive down some back roads with your music playing. This is so much fun to me!
26. Exercise your brain. Try a Sudoku puzzle, a crossword puzzle, or some other activity to give your brain a workout.
What are some things that you like to do by yourself? Leave a comment below!